The first Eucharists in Columbia were celebrated in 1831 by circuit riding priests. Sacred Heart, the first permanent parish in Columbia, was established in 1881. Catholic students and faculty worshipped together at Sacred Heart, eventually forming the Glennon Club in 1903 and the Newman Club in 1948. The Newman Club was named for John Henry Cardinal Newman. Newman was a scholar in the mid 19th century who believed that education should be moral training rather than mere instruction and that a Roman Catholic hall should be founded at Oxford University so that Catholic students would have the advantage of combining their education and their faith.
When the Jefferson City Diocese was established in 1956, plans for a new Catholic student center began in earnest. Worshippers celebrated Mass at the Newman Chapel for the first time on December 8, 1963. Built for 350 members, the building was dedicated on May 9, 1964, as the Catholic Student Center for the three college campuses in Columbia.
The Newman Center grew rapidly in the 1970′s and membership opened to the entire Columbia community. Parishioners established many new ministries including the children’s Catholic Education Program, bible studies, and adult education. The Newman Center also developed strong social justice programs, particularly in the areas of hunger and homelessness.
In the 1980′s, membership continued to soar and the facilities became desperately overcrowded. It was necessary to have seven Masses each weekend with crowded standing room conditions. Space had to be rented from the University to conduct meetings and hold religious education programs. On November 12, 1986, the first planning meeting was held to consider construction of a new church. After years of community discussion and prayerful consideration, the decision was made to proceed. The new church was dedicated on October 16, 1994.
The parish continues to grow in size and diversity. Each day the building is filled by members of the faith community worshipping, meeting, socializing and building the Body of Christ.